Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nice Girls Do

I finished this book awhile ago but I'm finally getting a chance to write about it. It's by Sarah Duncan, and it's set in London. It's about a garden historian who receives this project of analyzing this estate. I have to be honest, I usually don't like any books set in London--probably because I can't relate to the towns or the way they speak sometimes.

Anyways, this book did grow on me. I would say that it doesn't get interesting until about 88-100 pages in. I know--I almost gave up on it, but I'm glad I stuck with it. She ends up getting involved with the man that is set to inherit the estate once his grandma passes away. He's a typical bad boy--rich, and doesn't give a crap about the estate gardens. He treats her to all the finest restaurants and clothes. And then he gets her turned on to doing coke. Meanwhile, one of the estate helpers, is also romantically interested in her, but she blows him off for the rich boy. The love triangle continues, and she discovers more history about the garden, and uncovers a bridge to a secret cave. There's alot of anthropological references throughout the garden, and I love that she wants to find out who used to inhabit the estate, and what it was like back then. She reads old letters and explores the history of the gardens more closely, and the estate helper continues to help her, while the rich boy tries everything in his power to get her away from it. He doesn't want her to find anything so that he can sell the estate and get the money.

I won't tell you how the book ends, but I will say that it ended up being a good read!

Next review: Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan.

No comments: