Sunday, October 5, 2008

Travel Bug

M's sister Brooke is currently studing abroad for a semester in Israel. I never did the whole study abroad thing because I was an RA, and that just didn't work out. Anyways, she's considering going to Greece on her next break. I hope she goes, I want to hear all about it.

I've always wanted to go to Greece. Okay, not always, I mean, I've been wanting to go since last summer when I attended the Greek Festival in Denver. I actually am hoping to go on my own trip out there next year. That and China. I know, Greece and China are two totally different scenes. One has beautiful beaches, ouzo, and many delicacies, including baklava. The other has bright lights, crowded streets, and pretty much anything you can imagine to eat. Greece for me would be the ideal trip, as I'm more of a sunny person.

China, well, that's going to certainly be a different experience, but one I'm really excited about and open to. I'm most likely going to China next summer with my family because my Dad got the opportunity to set up a data center out there, so he'll be leaving us in January. But, he'll get to visit every couple months for a week or so at a time, and if he finishes earlier, he'll come home earlier. I'll certainly miss him but I also fully support his decision. I've played around with the idea of possibly going to live with him and becoming a travel journalist of sorts, but that's all just ideas at the moment.

I'm making it my goal to travel to at least one country every year. This upcoming year will be Greece and China--the year after that, perhaps the DR because that's where M studied abroad, and that's also tropical-y. Italy would be another good one too. *sigh* There's so much to see--once you start traveling, you never wanna stop! So readers, I leave you with this parting thought: if you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? Or, where should I go next?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!
If I could go absolutely anywhere, I'd visit Pitcairn Island in the Pacific. Look it up--it's a really interesting place. It's a small island, only reachable by ship, with about 45 inhabitants who are descendants of the mutineers on the HMS Bounty. Of course, it's the most inaccessible inhabited place on Earth, so I doubt I'll be heading there soon. lol.

Ever since I moved in with my grandmom, I've been saying that, before I return to working full-time, I'm going to go from London to Bangalore by rail. Getting the visa for Iran will be tough, and Pakistan is a little dicey right now, but I'm still planning on attempting it sometime within the next 12 months.
We'll see how that goes. lol

Greece and China would be great!
Personally, I'd love to go just to see the Olympic sites in both cities. I'm sure you'll have a blast! :)

Kitt said...

You'll have fun in China! Parts of it are sunny, too.

I want to go to Mexico sometime and work on my Spanish. That's probably the most doable place for me to visit these days. But I'd also really like to go to Vietnam, for the food.

Anonymous said...

The latest from B (talked to her on the bus this morning, quietly) is that she's probably going alone and will split her time between Athens and Santorini. She's trying to figure out now how many days to spend in each. She has 5 days total for the trip. And apparently you have to take an 8 hr ferry boat ride to get to Santorini...

Not Hannah said...

I pine for Wales and England and Scotland, but I know my fear of flying will probably keep me from going.

I really want to drive up the eastern seaboard all the way to Canada and see Prince Edward Island. Simple, I know, but..Anne of Green Gables lived there!

Wonderful said...

Gary: Your Pitcairn Island suggestion, is so cool! Only you would know of such a fantastic place--thanks for sharing! And good luck on your rail trip to Bangalore.

Kitt: It's good to know that parts of China are sunny. I went to Mexico last year, and I agree with you, it's doable, and pretty--just really hot during the summers. Vietnam sounds exciting too!

M: Thanks for the update about Brooke.

not Hannah: How'd you acquire a fear of flying? I myself am afraid of heights, but for some reason I am not afraid of flying. Perhaps someday you forgo your fears and reach Wales, England, and Scotland. Your idea to drive along the eastern seaboard sounds really relaxing and very picturesque! You should do that! I'd love to see pictures of your trip :)