Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Diwali

I have my last Bollywood class tonight. Apparently we're going to be dancing around and eating candy tonight to celebrate Diwali. Wikipedia's definition is written below.

Diwali (or Deepavali) is a major Hindu holiday, and a significant festival in Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, and Jainism. [3] Many legends are associated with Diwali. Today it is celebrated by Hindus, Jains, and Sikhs across the globe as the "Festival of Lights," where the lights or lamps signify victory of good over the evil within every human being. Diwali is celebrated on the new moon day (approx fifteenth day) of the month Kartika.

Last night on my way home from King Soopers, I finally went to the Indian store I had found via Google. Turns out they had Hindi movies! While of course they were pirated, I didn't mind paying $2 a piece. I got three, all recommended by the clerk--Hello, which is apparently a spin off of Bruce Almighty; Love Story 2050, which seems like a Matrix type movie--futuristic at least; and Dhaamal, which is apparently a comedy and really funny. Hopefully I will get to watch one or all of them soon and let you know what I thought of them. Now that I know they have movies, I want to go back and get some of the ones that we danced to in my Bollywood class.

No comments: