Monday, January 19, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

I am the sort of person that doesn't always enjoy making decisions yet loves to have the control. Somedays I am extremely indecisive, even about mundane things such as what to wear for work or eat for dinner. But there are also sometimes when I am sure of what I want. Today is one of those days where I feel indecisive, only this isn't about a mundane subject. It's about housing aka where I'll be living come April. M and I found out that our rent went up by $60. We've lived in our current place for almost two years now, and we love it. It's a spacious 1300 feet, complete with den, a kitchen with lots of countertop space, and bedrooms on opposite sides. Another perk is the garage with offers covered parking at no additional charge.

As great as this place is, and perfect for a first-time renter such as myself, I find that M and I are a crossroads, which isn't a bad thing whatsoever. But I feel as though change is on the horizon, not only with our president, but with my life in general. As I told M this weekend during a long walk, everything is changing, why not just add a new place to live too? It was good to discuss with M, because she felt the same way--she sees change coming along too. We discussed moving to a smaller place and saving money, or going our separate ways.

With my Dad leaving for China, my mom is open to me moving back home so I can pay off some debt and save up for house or condo. I have mixed feelings on that though. It's not a pride thing either, because I think it's very nice of her to open up the house I grew up in to me again. But I have concerns. I don't want to assume more responsibility with my little brother because I'm not a parent, I'm just an older sister. I don't want to lose my social life. Sure, I'll still have my car and friends, but I will lose my privacy I'm sure. And then there's the question of budget. Will I be saving money? Will I have enough to contribute to the household if I move back home?

The hardest part of all of this is what decision to make. At this point, I am unsure. I feel pressured to make a decision too because our apt wants 60 days notice if we're moving out, which means we technically have till the end of the month to let them know either way. Which is not alot of time at all! I would be fine with living by myself but I'm not sure if that's the most economical decision I should make at this time. But I also don't want to live at home for another year or longer. I just don't know what to do. In this case, I just can't see the big picture because I'm too worried about the details. *sigh*


Betts said...

I don't know if you want an opinion or not, but if you do...

don't move home. It might be economical, but I don't think you'll be happy with the arrangement. The other choices (stay, go, alone, together) are tough. I'd write down all the pros and cons. It usually helps me sort things out.

Wonderful said...

I think the pro con list is a good idea. And I talked with the apartment people and got an extension on time, but the sooner I figure this out, the sooner I can actually enjoy sleeping at night. I took an informal poll of people, and most people said I should move home and save $$, but in the end, I need to just go with what I want, so it's probably a good thing I have more time to hash it all out.