Tuesday, December 30, 2008

It's good to be back

After an extended holiday off of work and blogging, I am back. I have lots to update on, and thank you M for keeping me accountable for updating!

I have pictures too! I've updated my entry about decorating my apartment....First Bite Boulder....apple tart making...pot pie recipe....

The holiday was great. M got me an apron! I've never had one. When M's mom came over to make the apple tart with us, she wore one and I've wanted one ever since. Mine is so cute, it's black and white and has cute little pockets with bows on them. It reminds me of Paris. Ironically enough M's mom also bought her an apron and is black and white! M also gave me a Hello Kitty Pez dispenser (loves it) and two framed pictures of us from our Paris trip. I went the practical route and gave M a set of rechargable batteries and charger for her camera, a set of spatulas, and a pastry blender, which will come in handy for the next time we make pie crust.

Kristen gave me this--
even if I did a recipe a day I still wouldn't get through them all in a year!

Santa brought me my very own digital camera, and it's pink! I also got a new 3 in 1 printer, fax, and scanner, a comfy fleece blanket, and a gift card to Payless! It was nice being home, I enjoyed playing Wii with my lil brother and sleeping in. Everyone loved my cookies too! For Christmas Eve, we went to church downtown at Holy Ghost with my aunt and cousin. I saw an old high school classmate--it was awkward, but thankfully I didn't have to talk, as it we were in church. Afterwards we ate at Cheesecake Factory, and then went home. Andrew and I set out cookies for Santa, one oatmeal chocolate chip walnut, one chocolate star-shaped sugar cookie, and a glass of water. Unfortunately we had run out of milk, but Santa didn't seem to mind--he finished all the cookies and drank most of the water.

On Christmas day we were expecting to have my Dad's side of the family over, but my grandma and her significant other didn't come, as he had gone to the emergency room the night before because he tripped on some ice while shoveling snow and injured his back. I did get to see my aunt/godmother, and my uncle and his girlfriend. It was all very low key and my mom and I made good appetizers. We had a relish tray, chips and dip, and fresh mozzerella over tomato, topped with fresh basil and drizzled in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Yum! I have pictures on my new camera to upload of this wonderful feast. For the main course we had ham from the Honey Baked Ham store, smoked turkey, mashed potatoes, and steamed veggies. We were all so stuffed we didn't even break open the pies we bought--apple and cherry--from Village Inn. Oh well.

I was sad to leave home on Sunday but I had made plans with S, so I reluctantly left. We met up at Il Vicino, where we ended up sharing a side salad; lasagna; pizza with marinara sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage, tomatoes, and fresh oregano; and new york style cheesecake with raspberry sauce. It was a full meal, complete with a glass of cabernet for each of us. It was great to catch up and to talk about the upcoming year. I have set some goals (both short and long term) already, so I'm excited to get started. We made plans to attend the jazz festival in February downtown, and have agreed to try and hang out more in 2009. After dessert we exchanged gifts. I gave S a giftcard to Starbucks, and he got me....a HELLO KITTY WATERCOOLER. I was completely surprised because he's always making fun of me and Hello Kitty. I haven't set it up yet but it's so cute, I can't wait to use it. And it's perfect for me. hehe.

Speaking of Hello Kitty stuff, I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday on my lunch hour and I got the new 2009 Hello Kitty Engagement Calendar. It's really cute, and I love that it's hardback and it was 50% off, so I scored a bargin and paid $8.10 total, including tax.

Right now, work is going along well. I am so glad I had last week off--I feel refreshed. I haven't figured out what I'm doing for New Years Eve yet--I was apparently invited to go over to my second cousin's house, or spend it with a boy I don't really know. Whatever I do, I want to have fun and bring in the new year. Hopefully Kristen and Josh will have something planned for us all to do, including M and her bf. So we will see! Time is a tickin, that's for sure.

No comments: