Monday, December 1, 2008

I'm backkkk

Thanksgiving and generally getting away from the city was great. We stayed in a bigger condo this time--it was awesome. My parents slept in a king size bed in a loft, then the main level had a living room, kitchen, and 2 bedrooms with queen size beds. And the downstairs level had another mini kitchen, complete with its own bathroom/shower and queen size bed.

It was perfect. Well, almost. The kitchen appliances were kinda crazy. Case in point: On Thanksgiving day, we put the turkey in the oven, and set the cooking time for 3 hours. Well, in between that time, we put brie and garlic cloves in there to cook, and what we didn't know, but found out the hard way, was that everytime we opened the oven door, the oven would completely stop baking! Luckily, my mom checked on the turkey about an hour after we put in it there, and that's when she discovered the problem. Another problem we had was with the stove top. I ended up making all three sides--Cook's Illustrated Green Bean Casserole, glazed carrots, and squash with browned butter and fresh thyme. The problem I had, was that the stove top wouldn't cool down--for one of the dishes I had to go from high to lo, and even though the knob was on lo, it felt like high. I ended up just using different burners. And my glazed carrots--the easiest recipe out of all of them--I didn't read the directions right. *my bad* So instead of glazed carrots, we had steamed carrots--probably healthier anyways, right? In addition to the oven problems, my mom broke the blender, and we later discovered that only the right side of the toaster actually worked. We did survive though--instead of eating at 3:30, we ate at 6.

Good times were had by all. We didn't get any snow up there, so no one skiied, and it was 45 degrees on Thanksgiving Day. Of course when we left on Saturday, it was snowing. Figures! While we were up in Steamboat we went swimming in the hot springs and it snowed while we were out there! I caught snowflakes on my tongue. It was awesome. I had a blast. I even stayed the weekend with the family. It was nice having my mom make my meals, be around our dog Hailey, and play Wii with my lil brother. And I quasi helped my other brother with some RA stuff. I don't miss homework, that's for sure. All in all, it was a great weekend--I don't wanna be here at work, but I'm thankful to have a job.

No comments: