Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Importance of Locks

***Alright, folks, you know the rules. Join us all in humiliating the crap out of yourself every Thursday by sharing some completely tasteless, wholly unclassy, “how many readers can I estrange THIS week??” TMI story about your life. Or hell, about someone else’s!***

So this just happened. But let me give you a bit of background info first.

My office is very unique. Yes, that word means crappy. We're stuck on the "garden" level (aka the basement) of a three-story-building. On our said level, our offices have tons of windows including the door. So basically I work inside a fishbowl. Thankfully, my desk faces the wall/garden level windows, so I don't have to deal with people staring at me.

But my particular office is in the back corner, surrounded on either side by offices from the company we share this space with. But mine is directly across from the bathrooms. And the bathrooms are just as unique. They are single stall ones, but not the corporate type. They are like artisty type ones. One is all steel and metal and the other is all homey with wall scones. But there's only two. Two for the entire office. And it should be noted that the doors to the bathrooms also have windows but they are covered up with tapestries.

Fast forward to approximately five minutes ago.


Me: Man I have to pee.

So I start walking to the nice homey bathroom. I don't hear the fan on, which is usually how I know if anyone is in there. I don't even pay attention, and don't see all the lights on, and turn the knob of the door and....

...and there's a boy! In the bathroom! Going pee!


I see him, my mouth drops open, I mumble something about saying sorry, all while he turns his neck around to see me, and grabs the door shut. BUT HE DOESN'T LOCK IT. So how I am supposed to know no one is in there, when there's barely any lights on, no fan going, and it's not locked???

That might friends is why locks were invented. To keep people out and maintain privacy.

Thankfully, I just sat at my desk and faced the wall and pretended to be really fascinated with my computer. And it's a good thing this guy doesn't work in this office. I think he's a client of the other company's.

After that, just in case there might be someone else using said bathroom, I used the handicap bathroom with a raised toilet seat. No, I'm not proud of that, but I really had to pee. And no, I'm not telling my coworker I used her special seat. That would be TMI. 

3 comments:

Andhari said...

Awesome story!

Really awkward. I would've totally blushed.

rachaelgking said...

The second I saw your tweet I was all, PERFECT TMI THURSDAY!!!!!

Hahaha!

Wonderful said...

Andi- So awkward, or "kwar" as one of my friends from college used to say. I totally blushed.

Lilu- Yes, it was definitely appropriate for TMIT.