Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Workin' on my fitness

As a lucky full-time employed person, my company has offered us a new health incentive this year. Basically, if you enroll in all four components of the program, you save money on your health insurance. And by money, I mean, I break even. But I'll take it anyways.

I had to talk with a health counselor first. Now I have to report my weight once a week, and I'm assigned to a team. Each time I lose weight, I get points. Every time I gain, I lose said points. Easy enough. And then the last part of the program is where you can choose from a list of programs. I chose to do the "steps" program, where my ultimate goal is to walk 70,000 steps a week. Obviously I don't get penalized if I don't achieve that number. The point is to just make yourself aware of your exercise habits and health. They sent me a pedometer, which I really like. So far, I've only forgotten to wear it two times. Which isn't bad when you think about it.


My fancy schmancy pedometer

The first week I did this, I was super competitive. This also was around the time of my first 5k, and definitely before I was sick. The highest I've gotten has been close to 60,000 steps, which I guess is good. I've found if I do my normal walking to and from work/car/bus station, I get around 2,000 steps. Which isn't much at all. Today I walked up to Qdoba on my lunch hour and burned some calories and definitely gained some steps.

I've made an appointment to go to the doctor's tomorrow. I really didn't want to, but maybe they'll give me some super drugs that will make me feel normal again. I keep thinking I am, but then I go for walks like today, and find myself so, so, tired. Not winded, just the kind of tired that sinks into your bones. Here's to hoping it'll all be alright.

No comments: