Thursday, February 18, 2010

The adventures of taking public transportation...

Why I am so grumpy today??? I have no idea. But I do know that lately I've been forgetting things. Like important stuff. Take for example yesterday, when I left work 15 minutes early to catch the AB bus. Now, prior to leaving the office, I checked both the AB and the DD bus schedules, because they literally leave a minute apart. But I swear, from the schedule I looked at, the AB bus would get to my stop 3 minutes earlier, so of course I couldn't wait another 3 minutes and got that bus. Oh and I had ashes on my forehead from going to church and everyone gave me weird looks, but no one said anything. But that's neither here nor there.

So I'm on the bus, madly reading this new book about a hot hockey player who falls in love with a tv show personality who knits, and it's getting to the good part(s). So I may or may not have been paying attention. Anyways, I looked up, saw it wasn't my stop, (my stop was the next one) and continued speed reading. Then I looked up again and pulled the cord to stop. Only, as I did that, I saw the bus I was on, speeding past my stop. Yes, it really did happen. I slightly panicked, but then figured that I could just take the bus one stop in the other direction. Luckily the bus I needed came within 5 minutes. But I still felt so dumb, and pissed off and just like ugh. Because I swore to myself that it went to my stop. Well, when I finally got home, I looked at the schedule online and saw that it in fact, does not, nor ever did, go to my stop. So apparently I'm just an idiot.

Now, I take the bus all the time to and from work, and even around Boulder so I can get out of the office and go spend money on useless stuff at Target or something. So I know what I'm doing. I've taken countless buses on different routes. But again today, I apparently messed up again. I took the bus to my radio show, which I do on my lunch hour every Thursday. That was fine. It was after I was finished that I ran into a problem. Again, I swore that the bus came at like 12:35 or so. So I waited, and waited, and waited. And then I freaked out that I was going to be late going back to the office, and told myself how I could NOT ever take a long lunch and how it's not my fault the bus was late. I even called the bus schedule and the next times it gave me were starting at 1 p.m. "There's no way in hell I'm waiting till 1 to get the bus, forget that," I muttered to myself. Plus, I was super cold because it started to snow and of course I didn't know that because I never pay attention to the weather so I was cold. So, I determinedly started walking.

And then the bus I needed drove by me. Yea, I apparently have that kind of luck. But that just fueled my anger/annoyance, so I power walked all the way to the main road so I could catch a different bus. And then I remembered that I was so hungry and it was already like 1 o'clock and I hadn't eaten lunch yet. And then I decided that I wanted lunch. Specifically broccoli cheddar soup and an apple fuji salad from Panera. So I got off on the right stop, walked quickly to Panera, only to discover that there was a massive line. Seriously people, just eat later, is what I wanted to say. But apparently the line was caused by the registers having a problem or something. Idk, I just ordered it to go, said no to the receipt and stole some butter. When I finally got my lunch, I ran across the street to catch yet another bus to get me back to work, and of course it was just pulling away from the curb. But, this gentleman was nice and stopped for me.

I got on the bus and decided that I wanted food. Right now. So I took out my warm baguette and opened my stolen butter and slathered that baby in yummy goodness. And then I sat there and ate it. Luckily, I did make it back to the office without my boss noticing (at least I hope she didn't). Oh and also, I just checked the bus schedule, and I WAS RIGHT. He was late. Even if it was only by two minutes. SO THERE.

Anyone else have issues with public transportation?

2 comments:

Kez said...

I'm lucky where I live because the routes I usually take are practically a straight line.
However, my problem with public transport is the people...
:P

Wonderful said...

You're so lucky! But you're right, it would be like, 10x worse with stupid or annoying or mean people on it. Thankfully, I didn't have to talk with anyone today.