Tuesday, November 25, 2008

At the last minute...

I'm so antsy right now. I feel anxious for Thanksgiving and really random. I feel like running around my office and jumping up and down and shouting crazy things and laughing hysterically. AHHHHHHH!

Every year my immediate family and I spend Thanksgiving up in Steamboat Springs. We usually rent the same condo, and my Dad and brother will go skiing while my mom and I either go shopping or curl up by the fireplace with a good book. Or take a long, hot bath. This year could be different due to family drama. But I still can't wait to escape the city and be surrounded by the wonderful trees and snow. Well, hopefully there's snow up there.

Last Thanksgiving I made creamed onions. I got the recipe from my friend Katie's mom, Diane. Katie and I met sophomore year of college and were both RA's. During the holidays, I never went home for Thanksgiving--it was just too expensive for a college kid to afford, so I often spent the holidays with college friends. In this case, I spent Thanksgiving with Katie and her family in New Hampshire. And I later got to see them again after they moved to Maine. Regardless, this particular Thanksgiving we actually spent in Cape Cod, with her grandparents. Her grandma made the best apple pie, and we made homemade applesauce (amazing!). All very good memories as you can see. Anyways, one of the specialties they always have at Thanksgiving is Diane's onions. They were really good, and believed to bring good health and longevity. Well last year I made them for my family, and they were great, but we couldn't eat them all.

So this year, I'm determined to make something. I want to feel as tho I've contributed to the meal. I asked my mom for suggestions and she suggested I do a vegetable dish, as the desserts are already covered. I've been browsing ideas online but I haven't really come up with anything that's exciting or something that my family will actually eat.

Here's my current ideas:
  1. Glazed Carrots--kinda boring, but also simple. They have my Dad's vote.
  2. Butternut Squash with Browned Butter and Thyme. (This has my vote.)
  3. Green Beans; either the homemade green bean casserole courtesy of my mom's coworker's recipe OR simple green beans topped with olive oil and some salt.
I know this is last minute, but does anyone out there have any other suggestions? What's your vote??

p.s. I should add that we already are planning on having stuffing, corn, mashed potatoes, and turkey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Green beans (w/salt) or carrots get my vote - easy to make and transport