Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Most things happen for a reason... right?

Today I received a reality check in the form of a voicemail. I came back from lunch and saw I had one new message. As I scrolled through my missed calls, I assumed it was just my mom. I hit the blue voicemail button on my handset and hit the number 1 to hear my new messages. "One new message" said the lady's voice. I was just about to login to check my e-mail when I heard "This is Matt Sitelman..." I immediately picked up the phone and listened to his message saying he "is leaving the company" and "all invoices will be paid" and how he was "unsure if editorial consideration will be needed in the future."

I was shocked.

I thought back to all the times I had complained to M about lacking motivation to do my stories or dreading of interviewing people. It would seem like a routine--I would get an assignment, slack off, do said assignment last minute, exhale with relief, bill my boss, and then repeat. Every month. Lately I questioned whether I truly enjoyed said job or if I just didn't like writing about technology. Perhaps this is some sort of answer to my questions.

The pro is that now I am free and I can look for other writing opportunities. The con is most definitely not having the extra paycheck every month.

My boss said to keep in touch, so after my post-shock haze, I e-mailed him thanking him for the opportunity to work with him, and suggested we keep in touch. I also e-mailed the new contact, and expressed to her I want to keep working for them.

I don't know what the future holds, but maybe this is God giving me a kick in the butt to motivate myself. Who knows. He does work in mysterious ways, right?

No comments: