Friday, March 25, 2011

It's a success!

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers regarding my mom and my aunt.

On Monday, my mom went into the hospital for the bone marrow transplant. They poked holes on the back of her pelvis bone, and used different sized needles to get the most of her bone marrow.

She stayed overnight and had a blood transfusion. Basically, once the doctors took the bone marrow, they only used the white blood cells from it for my aunt, and gave my mom her red cells back through the blood transfusion which took four hours.

Since then, my aunt has been feeling very good and has had a very positive attitude. My mom still has some swelling and definitely is still sore--she said it basically feels like she threw out of her back (ouch!)--but she is doing well.

It's one thing to read about a bone marrow transplant, but it's completely different to actually donate yours. I am so proud of her and so happy it went well.

I'm actually considering getting tested to see if I could be someone's potential match. 

Would you ever donate your bone marrow or an organ?

No comments: