Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hope & Faith

A phone call.

Disbelief.


Panic.

What do all of these have in common?

Well, today at work I received a phone call from my mom telling me that my aunt, who has always treated me like the daughter she never had (she has a son, who is almost my age), has "acute leukemia."

Disbelief starts to set in. And a thousand questions. And the feeling of panic because I want so badly to do something--to fix it--to feed her and comfort her. I think to myself, I can learn how to sew and make her a quilt. I can fix her some of her favorite foods (because undoubtedly the hospital food will suck). I can give her a hug...

...But I can't.

The doctor said if she doesn't undergo intense treatment, she will only have 90 days left to live. She's going to spend a month in the hospital undergoing chemo and strong therapies to fight off the disease. She can't have visitors because her immune system is too weak--one person with a cold could kill her.

The only thing I can do now is pray for her, for my cousin and for my uncle and have hope that things will be okay.

2 comments:

bittersweetm said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. She's in my thoughts. I hope she comes through the treatment in a better state. I also hope that you are okay. Stay strong!! And I'm sure you'll find something to do for her.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you and your family!! xoxo